Here is a simple recipe for tomato sauce. This is typical Italian.
Total preparation time 15 to 20 minutes according to quantity
Ingredients (serve 4)
- 1 can of peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 4 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- 6 basil leaves
- Optional: 1/3 fresh red chilly for a spicy sauce (arrabbiata)
- Cut the onion finely (and the chilly if you are using it)
- Put the oil in a pan with medium-low heat
- Add the onion (and the chilly) and fry for 4 minutes
- Add the tomato, a few basil leaves and a pinch of salt
- Simmer for 15 minutes
The tomato sauce is now ready to be served on the pasta
Use a large shallow non-stick pan (30 cm) to cook your sauce and then pour the drained pasta into the pan to mix it with the sauce.
You can use half a can of tomatoes for two people, it will make it quicker to cook. You can still use 1/2 onion for 2 people if you like it.
Variations: you can use garlic instead of onion. 1 garlic clove it’s enough
Make sure you don’t burn the onion while you shallow fry it